How to apply
The 2020-21 program is no longer accepting applications. The 2021-22 program eligibility will be posted when the application becomes available.
To be considered for the 2020-21 CBYX scholarship for high school, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- Aged 15 to 18 ½ on August 1 of the program departure year
- A current high school student at the time of application, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Interest in learning the German language (no German language study/knowledge is required to apply)
- Comply with U.S. Department of State eligibility policy for American Outbound Youth Programs (click here to view that policy)
CBYX is committed to representing the vast diversity of the United States. Therefore, we encourage applications from all U.S. citizens regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, geographic location, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Read the Department of State’s commitment to diversity in exchange programs.
Only those students who meet the basic eligibility requirements will be considered. Not eligible for the high school scholarship? Please consider the post secondary programs.
Who should apply?
You! …If you are flexible, curious, open-minded, and have a sense of humor (because adapting to another culture will require the ability to laugh at yourself)! Strong candidates for this competitive, merit-based scholarship demonstrate:
- Evidence of the qualities essential for adjustment to another culture, such as flexibility, curiosity, open-mindedness, sense of humor, and adaptability to cultural nuances
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Motivation for a cross-cultural experience, including a tolerance for adversity
- Ability to represent the U.S. with distinction
- Academic merit
When to apply
Visit the Apply Today page for more detailed information about the next steps for applying. Sample timeline:
- Fall: Application becomes available online
- December: Applications are due
- January – April: Selection processes
- March – May: Selection announcements
- April/May – International Departure: Pre-departure preparations
- July – September: Group international departures for Germany
- June – July (Year Following): Group international return from Germany and program conclusion activities
Play video to learn more about the application process